Leg day at the gym may not be something you look forward to, but if you’re like most people, strong and defined thighs make looking in the mirror a much more pleasant experience.
Besides, your legs deserve your attention. They keep you mobile, your legs let you chase after your kids when they’ve done something wrong, they let you shine on the sports field, and they get you to the kitchen when you need a snack.
Here’s what you will want to know to get you the strength, definition, and appearance you desire for your legs.
Did you know that your thigh encompasses the entire part of the leg between the hip and knee? It contains these three primary sets of muscles:
- the quadriceps at the front of the thigh
- the adductor muscles on the inside of the thigh
- the hamstrings at the back of the thigh
How to Increase Thigh Definition
When your objective is to get rock-solid thighs without unwanted bulk while developing powerful and lean leg muscles, here are some of the best training routines you can perform:
Squats…of All Types
Not many moves beat the squat in terms of functional thigh exercises. Always maintain proper form to get the best results without pulling any muscles. That means keeping your weight on your heels as you squat straight down, then back up. When you’ve mastered the basic squat, try these variations:
- Weights: add dumbbells for intensity. Start light and go heavier as you get stronger.
- Sumo: try a Sumo squat which involves a wider stance. This alters the way your weight is distributed and targets the hamstrings.
- Elevated Heels: to engage more of your quads, give elevated heel squats a try. Instead of standing flat on the floor, prop your heels up on a pair of dumbbells or a block.
Channel your inner ballerina with this thigh exercise move for both women and men. The plié utilizes your hamstrings, quads, and abductors. Yes, this graceful move targets your entire thigh, making it a nearly perfect move to incorporate into your routine.
Step-ups target the majority of muscles in the upper leg, so they are a great exercise for toning and creating rock-solid thighs. Done slowly and controlled, step-ups can optimize your lower body strength and deliver definition.
Not only does this classic exercise pinpoint your thighs, but it also challenges your balance and coordination. Additionally, lunges will burn a ton of calories for improved fat loss.
The basic lunge can strengthen imbalances between the two sides of your body. Add some variations to get faster results:
- The reverse lunge puts less stress on your knees, and taking a step back will focus on your hamstrings.
- Walking Lunges build your glutes and add a cardio component.
- Bulgarian Split Lunge will build thigh strength and improve hip mobility. This exercise isn’t the most liked on this list, but it is brutally effective.
Your leg day wouldn’t be complete without adding this challenging move to your training. It sounds simple enough, but sitting with your back against the wall and your knees at a 90-degree angle until your legs start shaking will undoubtedly make you feel this exercise the next day. There is no doubt that wall sits can improve your overall stamina, endurance, and overall physical performance.
Consistency is The Goal
Doing squats, lunges, or any leg exercises can be a struggle. Not only is proper form essential to getting results, but it is easy to lose motivation and skip that final set of leg exercises when you are on your own.
That’s where Fit Body Boot Camp (FBBC) small group classes come in! We will give you the personal attention needed to meet and exceed your fitness goals.
The Advantages of FBCC
Our certified fitness coaches are training experts that will inspire and guide you every step of the way.
Come and experience all FBBC has to offer:
- All fitness levels welcome
- Positive community
- Fun body toning workouts
- Certified fitness coaches to help you with your form and keep you injury-free
- Support and accountability
- Results you’ll be proud of
- No intimidating equipment
- No figuring it out alone
Fit Body Boot Camp can help with our quick and effective 30-minute Afterburn workout. Our signature Afterburn Fit Body Boot Camp program combines High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) with Active Rest Training to produce results. It is truly a life-changing workout.
Best of all, since our Afterburn FBBC program is based on science and technology, your body will operate at an elevated metabolism in the hours following your training.
Come join us at Fit Body Boot Camp when you’re ready to fire up your quads and hammies with effective thigh exercises and take your fitness to a new level.