People workout for a variety of reasons. Sagging chest muscles are on nobody’s list of favorite physical features. That is one of the reasons chest definition is a popular goal for people who frequent the gym.
Chest Muscle Anatomy 101
The main muscles involved in developing the chest are the pectoralis muscles (also referred to as “pecs”) and serratus muscles (that run along your sides and are attached to your ribs). Anatomy matters when determining the best exercises for increasing the size of your chest muscles. However, there are functional benefits as well.
- Powerful chest muscles can help prevent injuries in sports that require overhead motions
- Strong pecs will also benefit you at work if your job requires pushing motions
- Muscular chest definition can help improve your posture
While published research shows the bench press is one of the most effective exercises, other chest movements are just as beneficial for working these muscles.
Top 5 Primary Chest Exercises
Barbell Bench Press
As we mentioned, scientific data tells us bench presses are the clear winner and the optimum chest exercise overall. This study revealed that differentiating the angle of the press has different advantages:
- focusing on the incline press wins for the upper chest
- the lower chest is worked hardest with a barbell decline press
Using dumbbells provides similar chest activation as the barbell bench press. Research shows this basic chest muscle exercise is especially useful for women. Additionally, it works regardless of your fitness level.
Start this exercise by lying on your back on a flat bench with a dumbbell weight in each hand. Your palms should be facing each other. Then, press the dumbbell weights up above your chest. Next, lower the weights to your sides in a wide arc until your chest muscles are stretched. Finally, return to the beginning by reversing the motion and bringing the weights back up above your chest.
Just like the bench press, performing the dumbbell fly on an incline will accelerate your chest definition.
Push-ups are an effective exercise to improve the muscle mass and strength of the chest. Perhaps the best thing about this primary chest exercise is that no equipment is required.
- To maximize efficiency, keep your hips aligned with your shoulders and ankles.
- Too difficult? Then do this exercise on your knees.
- Too easy? Place your toes on a higher surface, such as a bench, chair, or table.
Usually performed in a gym due to the required equipment, a cable crossover supports chest muscle definition.
This movement begins by standing in the middle of the cable machine with the pulleys set at shoulder height and your shoulder width apart. Next, grab the D-shaped handles with your palms facing each other, bring your hands together in front of your chest, and then return to the starting position.
A dip station in the gym is not a place you visit for chips and a snack.
Chest dips start by leaning your upper body slightly over the bar. Using your triceps and lower chest, push back up and try to keep your elbows from flaring out too much.
The chest dip is a pretty tough exercise for most people. However, it is critical to perform chest dips properly if you want to see improvements in your chest definition.
Learning and maintaining proper form is one reason it is always a smart decision to work with a fitness coach, especially as you begin exercises to increase your chest definition.
Diet and Calories Matter
Fitness experts remind us that if muscle definition is your goal, you’ll need to not only work the chest muscles for hypertrophy but also decrease calories to see your muscles better. This will likely involve increasing calorie burn through aerobic exercise.
Our Fit Body Boot Camp signature Afterburn Workout delivers extraordinary calorie-burning benefits. Our innovative Afterburn workouts combine High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) with Active Rest Training to produce 30-minute workouts, burning twice the calories in half the time.
Motivating and Inspiring Workouts
At Fit Body Boot Camp (FBBC), every small class workout session is professionally designed and led by our nationally certified coaches to help you achieve your desired goals.
- We take the time to both learn your unique strengths and your challenges
- FBBC coaches tailor your fitness classes to your own lifestyle and needs
- FBCC creates a friendly and inspirational community of class members and instructors cheering you on every step of the way
- Nutritional guidance is part of the FBCC workout program to keep your diet on track
- We are always available through email and Facebook to provide healthy tips and inspiration long after you leave the session
Quite simply, we are committed to your success!
A Final Thought
Whether your objective is to increase your chest definition, lose weight, or maximize your endurance, Fit Body Boot Camp (FBBC) offers exceptional support:
- A certified coach leads every session to give you the best workout, build muscle, burn fat, rest and recover, and stay injury free
- We welcome all fitness levels in a community-driven atmosphere
- Our boot camp sessions combine science, coaching, and technology
Of course, we want to ensure that you are comfortable before you buy, so we offer FREE Fat-Burning Workouts to get you started. Visit your local Fit Body Boot Camp today and see the difference for yourself! Contact us now and join us in result-focused full-body workouts!