Low sugar muffins? Um, yes please!
These apple spice muffins are the dreamiest low sugar desserts you’ll find in a muffin tray.
The secret behind these muffins and their deliciousness? Apples, honey, bananas, pecans, ground cinnamon, almond meal, and flax meal — all healthy ingredients that make these muffins low in calories, sugar, and carbs.
Try baking these for your New Year’s get-together, and let us know if they’re a hit with your friends and family.
Now, on to how to make them!
- 1/3 cup of flax meal
- 1/2 cup of almond meal
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of raw honey
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup of apples, finely chopped
- 1 cup of pecans, chopped
- 12 apple slices
- 12 whole pecans
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flax meal, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- In another large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, raw honey, and mashed banana. Mix well until no large lumps of banana remain.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until fully combined. Fold in the chopped apples and pecans.
- Fill each muffin cup until they’re three-fourths filled. Top with an apple slice and a pecan. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden and set.
- Let the pan cool for 5 minutes, then transfer the muffins to a wire rack to cool.
Want more nutritional advice? Visit your local Fit Body Boot Camp—your first three workouts are on us!