Hungry for some citrus-y goodness? Then try this beet and citrus salad!
This recipe is green, yet it’s anything but bland. The flavors of the beets, grapefruit, and mandarin oranges tango together in perfect symphony. You won’t find this intense a wave of flavors in most other salads!
Add in some olive oil and apple cider vinegar for an extra kick of acidity, then top it off with pistachios for added texture.
Ready for the ultimate green dish? Here’s how to make it…
- 3 red beets
- 3 yellow beets
- 3 grapefruits
- 3 mandarin oranges
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/8 of a teaspoon of liquid stevia
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 of a teaspoon of black pepper
- 6 cups of baby arugula, fresh
- 1/4 of a cup of pistachios, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Trim the beets, wash, and place them in an 8×8 casserole pan with 1/4 of a cup of water. Cover with aluminum foil and bake until tender (about an hour). Remove from the oven, uncover, and cool completely. Peel the beats and slice them into wedges.
- Cut the ends off the grapefruits. Slice off the peel and the white pith. Remove the cut into segments and peel the membrane off of each slice. Reserve 1/4 of a cup of grapefruit juice.
- Whisk together the olive oil, stevia, vinegar, sea salt, black pepper, and reserved grapefruit juice. Toss the dressing with the beets and the grapefruit wedges.
- Arrange the arugula on a platter. Top it with the beet and grapefruit mixture, and sprinkle over the pistachios.
Craving more nutritional advice? Click here to check out Beyond the Scale, the official health and wellness podcast of Fit Body Boot Camp!